Monday, May 17, 2010

Books, Books, Books

Some evenings, after work and dinner, when we relax in the den, Justin watches the Discovery channel (or the history channel) while I'm usually curled up with my latest book obsession. UNLESS...American Idol, Celebrity Apprentice, Parenthood or HGTV is on, and then my attention will revert to the screen. My love for reading began at an early age when my classmates would scowl at the teacher for making us read as I remained silent but secretly praised my teacher for that 20 minutes of reading each day . Math, no thank you, but reading, ANYTIME. So, I know I am a few days late, but I wanted to participate in Kelly's "Show Us Your Life: Favorite Books."


While I am not a huge fan of Nickolas Sparks novels, I have read a hand full and "The Wedding" is a great story.



Recently, I let myself indulge in what I thought would be a sappy romance novel; however, I was pleasantly surprised to find Emily Griffin's series "Something Borrowed," "Something Blue," "Baby Proof," and "Love the One You're With" to be delightfully entertaining and fun. I purchased the first one and finished it that day...I couldn't put it down and stayed up way past my bedtime to finish.





If you like a good suspense than you cannot go wrong with James Patterson's book series "The Women's Murder Club" and "The Alex Cross"series. Several of the Alex Cross series books were made into motion picture movies.

For all of you married couples, I have to suggest "Love and Respect." I read it while we were engaged and discussed the majority of what I learned with J. The author offered excellent advice and the book proved to be thought provoking. I am always up for improving and making any area of my life better, especially my marriage, and this book provided real life examples and insights into the "other person's" mind.

Of course, I cannot forget to mention The Twilight Series...already mentioned here

Two Thumbs up:

Authur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha"

"Same Kind of Different as Me" by Ron Hall & Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent

"My Friend Leonard" by James Frey

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

"Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers

"Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge

Classic novels that I will always adore:

*The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Stalinger

*The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

*Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

I also love biography's/autobiography's, and next on my list is "Laura Bush: Spoken from the Heart."

Whether its a cold winter day curled up by the fire or a warm summer day by the pool/beach, I would argue that having a book in hand makes it that much better!


“Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant and interesting” -Aldous Huxley

No comments: