Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Reveal!!

We waited an entire month after finding out that I was pregnant to tell our family and close friends. Talk about DIFFICULT! More so for Justin because he felt like we were keeping a secret from everyone...um, yeah, babe we are keeping a secret....A BIG SECRET at that. So, you can imagine how ecstatic we were after our doctor's appointment when she gave us the go ahead to tell everyone because our baby looked healthy and had a great heart beat. Of course, I had concerns because I was still in my first trimester but instead of dwelling on my fears we decided it would be best to announce, and everyone that knew could/would be willing to lift up our sweet baby in prayer. I am so glad we did tell because the amount of love, support, and genuine happiness that we felt from everyone made us that much more excited about our little one.

How we told my parents:

Justin came up with this idea. It was a week before my dad's birthday so it worked out perfect. After our doctor's appointment we went over to my parents' house. I carried in a box from Ed's Bakery and told mom and dad to come into the kitchen because we have an early birthday gift for dad. They opened the box to find 12 chocolate chip cookies (mom & dad's fave) iced with the letters "GRANDPARENTS" in pink and blue icing, ALL MIXED UP. I told mom to help dad spell out the word. Let me tell you, it took them awhile. In their defense they were thinking in birthday mode and never in their wildest dreams did they think I would be pregnant because they knew "my plan." Finally, I said "look at the icing colors does that mean anything to you"...and right then mom got it. I'll spare you all the sappy details but it was special and I know my dad LOVED his early birthday gift. After the shock wore off, a few tears of joy and big smiles came.
{Sorry I don't have pictures to show for - they are on my mom's camera}

How we told the Swann Fam.:

Let me preface by saying that after about a year of marriage, my in-laws started asking us every time we were with them when we were going to "have one." Needless to say, they want more grand babies.

We wanted to incorporate our precious niece in this reveal. Candace, my wonderful sister-in-law, had already known about our pregnancy so it made it easy for us to coordinate with her. The day of the reveal I ran to hobby lobby and put together this little pick and turquoise shirt for Malyn to wear. It says "I'm gonna have a Swann Cuz!" {The word "Cuz"was used only because I ran out of letters and it kind of sounded cute} Justin and I met up with Candace and Malyn before heading over to my in-laws house. They knew Justin and I were coming over for a visit but did not know sweet Malyn and Candace would be joining {Jon (Justin's twin) was out of town for work}. So, we get there, walk downstairs where Doug, Lisa, and Jeff are sitting and Justin carries Mayln in and sets her down. It didn't take long before my MIL was screaming and jumping up in down with excitement. Soon after my FIL was jumping up to give us big bear hugs and tell us how thrilled he was, and Uncle Jeff as well. After dinner and much baby talk, they feasted on little baby decorated petite fours from Ed's Bakery that I brought. Before heading home we stopped off at Nonnie and Papa's to share the news with them.

I cannot believe how big she is getting...we just love her so much!!

How I told the girls:

Ideally I would have LOVED to have had them all over to our house, and all in the same room, but let's face it, life is hectic and that would have been close to impossible. So, my second idea was to send them a card from the baby. I had everything written out, each card said something different to fit my friendship with each girl. Unfortunately, when I went to submit my order online, because each card was personalized, it was going to be $30 per card plus tax and shipping. Making my order a total of $300 +. I love these girls dearly, but now is not the time for me to be spending that kind of money on cards that they will eventually throw away. Anyhow, one day I got to brainstorming and came up with this.....



Shout out to Karen at Something Blue - I knew what I wanted and she delivered, as usual

This was so fun for me to do and I literally could not wait for their phone calls! I will treasure those conversations for forever - all the squeals of excitement and pure joy. I have the best friends and I can't wait for "baby s" to meet his/her "Aunts!"

"Baby S" has already received so many fabulous gifts from loved ones and we cannot express how grateful we are to have such incredible family and friends!

4 comments:

Cary said...

This baby is so loved already by so many people! (me included) I can't wait to watch that belly grow...keep the photos coming.
Again, congratulations. I can't wait to see you again!

kate said...

Yay!!! I'm so happy for you, Megan. I'll be praying for your pregnancy and for a healthy baby!

Amber said...

Oh I love this baby so much!!!! Auntie Am is ready to hangout and play!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Congrats Meg!! You are going to be a wonderful mother!!! Your mom was always so precious, and you are her twin!