Sunday, February 6, 2011

Birth Story

As most of you know, Brody was breech for 12+ weeks. Our doctor had scheduled the c-section for Monday, January 31st. We would have been 39 weeks then, and she likes to do sections at 39 weeks before mom goes into labor. Because of my intense lower back pain (due to B’s position) I was pretty much instructed to stay put at home for the next two weeks. Keep all this in mind as the story progresses.

So, Monday, January 24th I got a little antsy and made a trip to the post office, and Walgreen’s to buy a gallon of milk and root beer. [Justin will want me to include that last bit of info because he always puts it in the story when he tells it and rolls his eyes because I wasn’t supposed to leave.] He believes it’s what sent me into labor. Who knows? Around noon I started to have contractions that were closer together than before. At 3:00 p.m. I decided I should probably call J and just warn him. So, I called and told him to STAY at work, and when he got home we would time the contractions. Well, he didn’t stay, instead he got home quick and got out his stop watch to time the contractions. He kept trying to talk me into going up to the hospital and I was adamant to stay put a little longer. He even called our birthing class instructor and told her what was going on and she even said for us to head up to the hospital. Finally, at 8 p.m. I gave in and we grabbed our bags and headed up the hospital.


We got the Women’s Center and the nurse placed the two belts around my belly to check the baby’s heart beat and monitor my contractions. B’s heartbeat was great! She checked to see if I had dilated and see if B was still breech. I had dilated to a 2. Here is where they story takes a turn. The nurse says to us that B is NOT breech, that she felt a head. WHAT? I cannot tell you all of the different emotions going through my mind. After she stepped away Justin and I looked at each other in confusion. Both of us didn’t feel like she was correct. They kept us until 11 p.m. and called my doctor [who, praise the Lord, happened to be on call this particular evening] to see what she wanted to do. Since B was supposedly head first now, my doctor said for me to head home, monitor the contractions, and pretty much stay in bed. LOVELY.



We get home and I head straight for the shower. I was in the shower for no longer than 1 minute when I felt what I thought was my water breaking. Me: “UMM, Justin I think my water just broke!!” He rushes in. Me: “I’m not certain, but it felt exactly like what everyone and the books say.” I’ll spare you the details here. Quickly we are grabbing stuff, changing, and rushing back to the hospital.



I believe it’s around 11:30 p.m at this point. At the hospital the nurse does the same thing as before. Except this time she did a test to see if it was my water that had “broke.” The test was negative, but she said she’ll have to do it again in a little bit to confirm. She checks once more to see if I had dilated, and I had dilated to a 3. Here is the second curve ball. This nurse isn’t confident that he is head first. She gets the ultra sound machine so that we will know for sure. We’re all looking, and looking, and looking, and then she said she thinks he’s transverse (sideways). WHAT? I’m not feeling any of this big movement. That nurse grabs another nurse to confirm. The nurse contacts my doctor again and my doctor tell us to stay the night at the hospital and let them monitor B and me, and she would be there first thing in the morning.



No sleep for me - contractions all through the early morning. My doctor arrives around 7 a.m. Tuesday, January 25th and wheels in the ultra sound machine to really confirm B’s position. Ready for this…he is in the same position he had been in all along. He’s still breech. THANK the Lord we went to the hospital and took precautions because our baby was breech and he was ready to come. I’m also so thankful for my husband’s persistence to get us to the hospital. Our doc scheduled our section for that morning at 9:30 a.m. Again, I cannot describe to you all the different emotions I was feeling at this moment. Justin contacted our family and friends while I was busy getting prepped with paper work and questions before the section. Around 9:00 a.m. my fantastic nurse comes in to inform me that there is an emergency c-section and we will be bumped back.

Around 1:00 p.m., before I was wheeled back to the room where B was delivered, J and I got to have some alone time to pray. I'm so grateful for that time because up until that point it was so chaotic. They gave me the epidural, and prepped me for the section. J came in. Then, our doctor.
This moment forever changed my life. As soon as I heard B cry I was relieved and overwhelmed with joy. My faith has increased because of my son and the experience of pregnancy. The love I have for him is like nothing I have ever known. My love and appreciation for Justin is stronger than ever. Justin will never understand the depth of my love for him. I love us. I love all three of us.

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Phil 4:4


Daddy, ready and waiting to come back to me


Some of our guests in the waiting area



I'm so thankful I was able to experience a bit of natural birthing. I got the epidural right in the nick of time! :)

1 comment:

Jenny and Mark Bradley said...

Sitting at my desk at working crying as I finished your story. These pregnancy hormones are strong! I'm so glad everything went well and that your baby boy is here.